Lestat De Lioncourt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My hobbies...

5 posters

Go down

My hobbies... Empty My hobbies...

Post by MissBijou Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:59 am

One of my hobbies is baking. I've even taken the first Wilton course of cake decorating just for fun. I'm no pro, but I enjoy trying out new projects. If it is made out of sugar and cute, I'm all about it.

This was my first cake for the Wilton course. Of course I had to go for Hello Kitty.  

My hobbies... Hellokitty_zps1dcb81d5

For a cookie exchange I did. Gingerbread men.

My hobbies... Gingercookies_zps88556ca4

My best cake so far, a "surprise-inside" American flag cake that I made for 4th of July. It was plain on the outside with just frosting and fruit, but inside...

My hobbies... Flagcake_zps614fd28d
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

My hobbies... Empty Re: My hobbies...

Post by Lestat Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I especially like the Red, white and the blue. Please describe what it tastes like, so we may share this sweet treat.
Lestat
Lestat

https://lestat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Oh! A Hello Kitty cake! I adore Hello Kitty.

I, also, like to bake. I have made pies and cakes, but I like cookies. Snickerdoodles are the ones that I can make the best. All warm and gooey and buttery with cinnamon and sugary goodness.

Now, I want to make some. Alas, I do not have all the ingredients.

Back to top Go down

Post by Yume Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:33 am

Wow, all your cakes look so gorgeous!! *_* (Helllo Kitty rulezzz!!!)))
I'm sure they're also as delicious as their perfect look!)
Unfortunately I'm complete looser in cakes baking (I even didn't try after two or three times when poor cakes made by me were "saved" by more experienced people)) Very Happy
But as I can't bake, I like (and prefer) decorate them (so I need to team up with someone like you and just give some help)))
But as for preparing food - I like very much Japanese cuisine and make several typical plates like different kinds of sushi, rolls, onigiri, miso soup etc.) I even made a lot of "master classes" on making Japanese plates for my friends Smile
Yume
Yume

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 am

Lestat: Oh, it is very simple. Vanilla cake and vanilla frosting! The red and blue is just some dye. And, then, of course... The berries: strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.

Nia: Exactly. Nothing cuter than Hello Kitty. And I have to agree, nothing is better than freshly baked cookies. Hope you get to bake some Snickerdoodles soon! They sound delightful.

Yume: Thanks! And of course they taste good. Funny. I prefer baking to cooking. I can cook, but nothing too terribly fancy. Soups, I am terrible at soup! Haha. Japanese food? You and my cousin would get along. She can cook a lot of Asian foods as well, they are her favorite. Do your friends ask you to cook for them?
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lestat Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:04 am

Perhaps, I should treat you all to some recipes I know, one day..?
Lestat
Lestat

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:56 am

That would be awesome, Lestat. Are they very old recipes?
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yume Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 am

Yes, Melanie, I prefer cooking than backing, especially Asian food (actually it's my preference in all time - if we decide in which restaurant or cafe we'd like to go with friends, I always chose Asian one, especially if it's associated with seafood)))
Sometimes my friends ask me to prepare something from Japanese plates (those ones who I still didn't teach how to prepare or those who are too far from being fan of Japanese culture but curious to taste something "Japanese"))) I also like Chinese and Korean food and recently I've learned some typical Chinese plates preparation from my Chinese colleague Smile I'm planning to learn how to prepare some Korean plates)

Last edited by Yume on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Yume
Yume

Back to top Go down

Post by Yume Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 am

Yes, Lestat, please, teach us your favorite recipes!! I'd like to discover as new as old ones which you know!
Yume
Yume

Back to top Go down

Post by Lestat Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 pm

This goes very well with coffee (Apparently)

Coconut cake

4 oz Self raising flour (sieved with a pinch of salt)
3 oz Butter OR Hard margarine
3 oz Sugar
2 eggs
1 oz dessicated coconut.

Grease and line a loaf tin (about 7½ x 3½ inches)

(We use an oblong Pyrex dish or you can get paper cases, other wise you can guess the tin size or make buns/mini cakes.
This mixture is very user friendly)

1, Beat the butter and sugar until soft and light in color.
2, Add the eggs gradually with a tablespoon of the flour.
3, Beat well.
4, fold in the rest of the flour and the coconut.
5, Put into the tin and smooth the top level.
6, Bake at 180c / gas mark 4 for about 35-40 minutes.
7, Leave to cool.

Glacé Icing

Mix a little water into icing sugar making sure it is not too runny, pour over the cake and sprinkle with some dessicated coconut.

Enjoy!
Lestat
Lestat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 pm

That sounds like a delicious cake. It's unfortunate that I cannot have coconut. I'm allergic to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Yume: Mmm! I love Chinese food. Sadly, do not know much about Japanese food and I have an allergy to Salmon... so fish is something I'm not a big fan of. Korean food is delicious, too. I recently went to a Korean restaurant and it was amazing. (I can be very particular about food). I want my Hmong friend to show me how to cook some of her traditional dishes. Haha, it sounds like soon you will be an expert on many types of dishes.

Lestat: Oh, I love coconut! Is this something that is served at the cafe you work at? I shall have to try it and I'll be sure to let you know how it went.

Hi Ruthy! Very Happy

Pity that you are allergic to coconut, Nia. I'm sure you can substitute other flavors such as lemon/poppyseed, or something.
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Louis Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 pm

The treats look very nice, Melanie. It all sounds a little sweet for my taste.
Louis
Louis
De Pointe du Lac
De Pointe du Lac

Back to top Go down

Post by Lestat Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 am

Oh, shush Louis... Let`s pretend we actually enjoy the things we create for the Cafe` as our patrons do.

Melanie, Here is a recipe for a very moist "Milk Chocolate cake" Quite *Squidgy* in fact.

7 oz Self raising flour
8 oz Sugar
1 oz Cocoa
4 oz Best slightly salted butter
5 Tablespoons of water
1/2 tea spoon of salt
2 Large eggs, beaten with 5 table spoons of Condensed milk.
and Just a few drops of vanilla essence

(It is the condensed milk that makes the difference)  

Line two 8 inch cake tins with greaseproof paper, the grease and flour the paper. Do NOT use the loose bottom tins as this mixture is very runny!

1. Sieve the flour, Sugar, Salt and cocoa into a bowl.
2. Fold in Butter
3. Stir in all the liquids
4. Mix well
5. Divide the mixture between both tins
6. Bake at 180 c (Gas mark 4) for about 30 to 35 minutes
7. When cold, sandwich and cover with Milk Chocolate Icing... (even down the sides of the cake)

-------------------

Milk Chocolate Icing

5 oz Soft Margarine
2 Tablespoons Cocoa
18 oz Icing sugar
6 Tablespoons of hot milk
2 Teaspoons Vanilla essence

1. Melt margarine
2. Blend in Cocoa
3. Stir in Icing sugar, milk and essence
4. Fold until smooth and thick.

You can then add melted Chocolate, or lots of Chocolate drops.

(Serving suggestion: Two scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream ~ Grate some of your favorite Vanilla over the ice cream)

Use your imagination and go mad!

Enjoy!!!
Lestat
Lestat

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:57 am

Louis: Yes, you do strike me as the sort to not enjoy sweet things. Haha. (Vamp, or not). My parents don't care for cakes and candies, either.

Lestat: Oh! But, I DO love chocolate cake. It is my absolute favorite. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I'll have to see if it is better than the ones I've come across.

MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Tue May 26, 2015 7:43 am

My hobbies... Cupcak10

Vanilla Chai + Rose cupcakes this weekend.

I've been wanting to try flower flavors for a while, now.
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yume Wed May 27, 2015 12:45 am

Looks gorgeous!!! *_* in my opinion it mustn't be eaten - it should be exposed like bijoux or cosmetics on the window of your own boutique (may be once you'll open one) Wink
Yume
Yume

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:31 am

Oh, why thank you, Yumi! But, alas, I am far too impatient to actually open up a cupcake shop. Even my family and friends have suggested I do so.

But, you have to be up early to bake everything, and then there are vegans, allergies, and special orders for sugar-free... and so forth. Colorado is very much into the gluten-free "trend", and I doubt all these people have celiac disease. It would just be too much to never cross contaminate anything and worry about allergies and other sensitivities.

I'll only bake things for family, friends, or myself. My niece, for example, I am making her 20th birthday cake for her. She loves The Little Mermaid and I am making her a mermaid themed cake. I've always wanted to make a three-tiered cake, so this will be my biggest challenge.
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 am

That sounds like a great challenge for you, Melanie! Themed cakes are always neat.

My manager's wife makes themed cakes. She has done quite a number of them. One of the coolest being an R2-D2 cake. She has also done an owl cake. There have been so many that I forget all of what she has made, but they looked spectacular once done.

Fondant is your friend. It covers up a lot of mistakes. Laughing

I cannot wait to see how how your niece's will look once finished!

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 am

Oh, I would love to see the cakes she bakes! I always enjoy seeing peoples' creative side. My sister once texted me a picture of a cake a lady made for a baby shower... it was adorable! Looked like a bathtub with little yellow ducks swimming around.

And yay for R2-D2! Nerdy themed cakes are the best, IMO. I want to make a Dalek cake for myself, sometime.

Oh, I haven't any experience yet with fondant. I hope to learn how to work it in the future.

I'll be sure to post my niece's cake on here for sure. Smile
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 am

I want to make a T.A.R.D.I.S. cake. Perhaps with icing pictures of each of the Doctors on it. Only hitch in that is finding the room to do so in a fairly small kitchen. It is difficult enough to bake cookies.

I am fairly tempted to ask my manager if his wife would make me one for my birthday. I would pay her for it. Then freeze the cake for it would be too awesome to eat. Too bad it would not be bigger on the inside. Time Lord science does not quite exist yet. Well, at least not for the general public... >.>

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:55 am

That Tardis cake would be awesome. I've seen someone make a Tardis gingerbread house (uh, box?) before.

I know all about that space issue. My baking usually "spills" out into the dining room as well.

Time Lord science needs to be released to the masses already. A bigger-on-the-inside cake would be the best kind of cake. Haha. Never ending!
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Harper Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:15 pm

MissBijou is right. The best flavor of cake is "more" and with Time Lord science, that could definitely be accomplished.

Or you could go to Hogwarts and learn how the Undetectable Extension Charm works. Same concept as the T.A.R.D.I.S.

In Harry's fourth year at the Quidditch World Cup, the tents were normal-sized on the outside but they got bigger on the inside so they could fit more people. Hermione's bag in her seventh year had the charm on it so she could carry around the stuff they needed when they were on the run from the Snatchers and whatnot.

Nerd moment over. xD
Ali Harper
Ali Harper

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:55 am

Oh, Ali. I love Harry Potter, so have no fear! XD

My sister and I used to have Harry Potter trivia nights and things would get pretty tense between us. >.>

Is it weird that I would still love a HP themed party at my age? I already had a Harry Potter cake for... God, my 18... or, 19th birthday. This time around, I'd have all the potions as drinks.

Speaking of cake. This never-ending cake needs to become a thing.
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Harper Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:49 pm

I agree 100%.

I have to wonder how Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration would fit into this.
Ali Harper
Ali Harper

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:22 am

Um, I dunno how that would work out. Never. Ending. Cake???? That just multiplies over and over again? XD

Anywho, this is the cake that I made for my niece's birthday. She loves the Little Mermaid, and I made her an under the sea themed cake.

My hobbies... IMG_2704_zpsrjz15jwj
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Cookies and cream cake? Are those blue flowers (anemones? sea lilies?) fondant? I'm guessing the shells are white chocolate molds with food coloring mixed in, yes?

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBijou Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:05 am

Oh! Yeah, didn't mention what it was...

So, yes. You guessed correctly. It is a cookies and cream cake. Vanilla buttercream with crushed cookies. The cake part was vanilla cake with crushed cookies. I went through one and a half packages of Oreos. The filling was chocolate.

The top of the cake is a giant rice crispy treat with Oreos (again) crushed into it. The flowers weren't meant to be any specific kind. I just wanted them to look "aquatic"? Yes, fondant with gum-paste mixed in for a better texture/hold. (I found that fondant is too soft and weak IMO by itself).

Yes, the shells are those melting chocolates (vanilla flavored) that can go into those candy molds. No food coloring. I bought pink and white. I melted the pink first and smudged it into the mold before pouring in the white candy melts.
MissBijou
MissBijou
Respected Member
Respected Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down